Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 Was a Great Year for Us

2010 has now come and gone. Reflecting over the last year, it was a great year for us! We started the year in our new house. We have slowly made modifications to the house to suit our taste. Little changes, but they made a huge difference for us! We changed out the chandeliers in the dinning room and the kitchen, we added lights over and under our kitchen cabinets, and Richard built me new pantry shelves in the laundry room! We have enjoyed our first year in our new neighborhood and have made lots of new friends. The boys learned to swim this summer in the neighborhood pools! I joined not 1 but 2 bunko groups and enjoy getting to know the ladies each month. We also have enjoyed entertaining more in our new house. I've started cooking more, and it is so fun to have friends over for dinner!

John started Kindergarten in 2010. He loves going to Lakeshore and loves his teacher Ms Hostick! I can only hope that Robby has her next year. She is patient, full of energy and very creative! I'm amazed how much John has learned already and he is starting to learn to read. We read each night before bed, and John is reading more and more of the stories. We are thankful for the new books the boys received for Christmas; they give us a new supply of stories to learn!

Medical wise, it was a fairly quiet year for us. I've continued my IV treatments every 5 weeks, but they go on without excitement. We don't know how long I will continue the treatments. I'm thankful for a doctor that works it all out with my insurance company. Richard did get a defibrillator inserted for his heart back in February. He has an enlarged heart that medication wasn't impacting, so the doctors wanted this done just in case his heart stopped. Richard was also tested for sleep apnea (I could have told the doctors that he had it!) and was tested positive. We are now waiting word from the doctor regarding his new c-pap machine to sleep under. We think being treated for the sleep apnea could have a positive effect on his heart, but only time will tell.

The boys started playing sports this year. In the fall, they both played soccer. We enjoyed watching them in the games which are very comical at this age! John also started basketball for the winter sports season. He is very good at basketball! The team is still learning the basics of the game, like teamwork, but they have come a long way in just a few weeks. So far, they are undefeated! Robby participates in a basketball clinic each week. They divide the 3 and 4 year olds into groups and then rotate to different stations. One station, they work on defense, another dribbling, and another shooting baskets, and so forth. It's been a great way to let Robby participate, but learn about the game. We didn't think that he was ready for a team game, so this was perfect for him.

I started a Biggest Loser competition with my sister and brother. Congratulations to Sean for winning our 1st season! While I came in last place, I did loose about 20 pounds. I've also changed a lot of habits, like cooking better for my family. I started walking each morning. While my exercise has curbed off due to the weather, my sister is smart and got me a new walking video to use inside! I promise to pick it back up! After all, season 2 is just around the corner!

On a more personal note, 2010 brought my biological father back into my life after 30 years. We spoke only a few times before he died, but I'm glad to have the few times. We knew that he was sick, but I don't think anyone knew just how sick he was. Sean, Tracy and I flew up to Philadelphia for his funeral. We finally got to meet our Uncle, Aunt, and cousins for the first time! I was very happy to spend time getting to know our family better! We also got to do a little site seeing in Philadelphia before we headed home. It was fun to see where our country's government began and even the Liberty Bell! I can't wait to take my boys back there some day! And of course, everyone is welcomed to come to Texas for a visit!

I know that 2011 holds further excitement for our family! I thank God for his blessing over our little family! I also pray for His blessings over your family! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: